Innovate UK has announced the winners of its IC Tomorrow Future of Retail Innovation competition.
The five winning startups, which have been awarded up to £35,000 to tackle some of the issues faced by the retail industry, will also partner with industry leading organisations.
Winning startups and their partner organisations are as follows:
- Thaw Technology Ltd partnering with Tesco and WRAP
- Cephalometrics partnering with Digital Anthropology Lab, London College of Fashion, University of the Arts, London (UAL)
- Action Artificial Intelligence partnering with Unilever
- Rewarding Visits Ltd partnering with Barclays
- Proxama partnering with Greater London Authority
The companies will now work with their partners to develop prototypes of their winning ideas whilst, according to a statement, retaining 100% of their intellectual property.
Matt Sansam, Innovate UK’s lead technologist, digital economy and IC tomorrow programme manager,said:
“Consumers increasingly want more from their shopping experience and digital solutions are a key way for the industry to give consumers what they want. Each of the five winners demonstrates how new innovative technologies can be used to deliver positive interactions between the consumer and the retail industry.
“We are excited to see how these businesses develop and grow while working with our challenge partners, as they move on to the next stage of their product development,”he concluded.
Product trials for this competition launch in 2017.